Thursday, September 17, 2009

Joey DeMaio Would Be Proud: Album Review: 3 Inches of Blood - Here Waits Thy Doom



I guess the reason I've waited so long to review this album was that my initial impressions of this album were less than satisfactory. 3 Inches of Blood is one of my favorite bands and upon hearing this album, I was sorely disappointed.

At the request of some close friends I was encouraged to give the album a closer listen. This time I loaded it up on my powerful sound system and cranked up the speakers.

Here Waits Thy Doom saw a departure of co-vocalist Jamie Hooper and thus departure from 3 Inches of Blood's iconic sound. Maybe that's why my first impression of this album was poor, it wasn't what I was expecting. Instead, 3 Inches of Blood takes a more traditional Heavy Metal sound akin to bands like Manowar.

Songs on the album spans fist-pumping anthems of "Battles And Brotherhood" to Southern Rockesque "Preachers Daughter" to Powerful riffs on "Silent Killer." With no original band members left, 3IOB brought their A-game. Cam Pipes Halfordesque vocals are as good as ever, but seem out of place on "Call of the Hammer."

Ok, so my first time listening to this I would've given it a 2/5, but after this second listen I'm giving Here Waits Thy Doom 3 1/2 out of 5. Give this album a chance to grow on you.


(Three and a half out of five Hammers)

No comments:

Post a Comment